Try this quinoa spinach salad recipe as a main course!
What if I told you that this quinoa spinach salad recipe will do very well as a main course? When I am preparing myself a salad, I often look around the web for inspiration (or through one of my many vegan cookbooks). There are so many amazing recipes out there, but often I feel that salads are designed to be served mostly as side dishes. For an easy, weekday dinner to throw together, I don’t want to start making a salad and then have to worry about a main as well!
So I came up with this easy quinoa spinach salad recipe as an answer to the proverbial “what are we eating tonight”, with the twist that the salad in itself is a complete, balanced meal. For light eaters, the salad would suffice. For those with bigger appetites, I recommend having this salad with pita and hummus.
Quinoa Spinach Salad Recipe
For the salad:
- 1 cup tricolor quinoa
- 2 cups water
- A small box of baby spinach (usually comes pre-washed), chopped roughly
- 1 green onion, sliced thinly
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 medium size orange, cut in large chunks
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- salt & pepper to taste
I prefer using tricolor quinoa for salads because the resulting dish is so much more appealing visually. However, feel free to use white or red quinoa if that’s what you have around the house.
- Rinse the quinoa under cold water and cook in the water according to instructions. Rinsing is really important to remove the bitterness of the quinoa grains. Cook time will usually be between 15-20 minutes, leaving you with enough time to prepare the rest of the salad.
- In a large bowl, mix together the spinach, green onion, chickpeas, raspberries and orange chunks.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl.
- When the quinoa is cooked, add to the large bowl and mix with the fresh ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, and mix thoroughly.
Present this beautiful Summer salad in a large wooden salad bowl and serve it using colorful salad servers. Bon appétit!